ANTIDOTE TO FEAR
TEXTS: 2Tim 1:6-7, 2Corinthians 4:13
For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, of love and of a sound mind.
We having the same spirit of Faith, according as it is written, I believed, and therefore have I spoken; we also believe, and therefore speak; KJV
In the year 2002, I was to travel to Bida, in Niger State. The night before the trip, I started hearing a voice, telling me that Niger Bridge at Jebba was going to collapse as soon as our bus is on it. I have never been that scared in my life; I became apprehensive every inch of the journey, prayed, sang, all out of fear. I made the trip, the bridge didn’t fall, and it has never fallen since 17 years ago.
Most times, our fears are needless, baseless and worthless. Fear is one of the emotions known and natural to man. It could either be positive or negative. Fear is a feeling (strong emotion) that is induced by the awareness or nearness of danger. Sometimes it could be real and other times it could be virtual or imagined.
KINDS OF FEAR
(1) Natural fear: e.g the kind you experience during a near accident scenario.
(2) Reverential fear: fear of God, awe and reverence for divinity. The fear of God is the beginning of wisdom
(3) Irrational or slavish fear: this is a demonic fear that puts man in bondage. This is the focus of this teaching; fear of usnknown, fear of failure, death etc.
ORIGIN OF FEAR
The fall of man occasioned by sin brought the presence of fear to man. Gen 3:10
So the mind or soul of man which is the seat of emotion, will and intellect became the magnetic field for spirit of fear.
SOURCE OF FEAR
Fear is a demonic spirit that capitalizes on unrenewed mind. This demon of fear brings its subject into bondage Romans 8:15. It torments its victim 1 John 4:18: “….Fear has torment…”
It also operates through
THE 5 SENSES
- What we see: real time or real life and in dreams.
- What we hear
- What we touch
- What we taste
- What we feel
The cure for fear is faith. Faith is a Spirit while fear is also a Spirit as we see in our two ANCHOR TEXTS above. Faith comes by hearing, Romans 10:17, so also fear. Adam said I heard your voice and I am afraid. Gen 3:10. Faith focuses on the promise while fear focuses on the problem. They counterbalance each other. One neutralizes the other .When Jesus said “fear not, only believe” Luke 8 v 50, it means the two (fear and Faith) were present in the heart of the man, but Jesus was asking the man to give fear quit notice and keep faith in. The two are equal but opposite forces. They both grow by feeding. The One you feed determine the one that grows stronger. They both grow in the atmosphere of confession or DECLARATION. Faith is the response of the human spirit to the word of God or promise while fear is the response of unrenewed mind to the problem. Faith is in your recreated human spirit, while fear is in your mind. So the battlefield is your mind. You need to get it renewed on daily basis. Rom 12:2
“….be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind…” Rom 12:2
STEPS TO DEALING WITH FEAR.
- Deal with your paralyzing or fearful thought by speaking out.We use words to fight thoughts.
(2) Don’t repeat the voice of fear you hear within and without
(3) Focus on the promise of God concerning what you are afraid of
(4) Take authority over the spirit of fear
(5) Break the stronghold of fear
(6) Making Faith-filled DECLARATION
(7) Watch or screen your media diet; as in what you are watching, listening to, reading.
(8) Speaking, praying and singing in tongues.
In conclusion, getting your mind renewed by meditation and declaration is vital to tackling fear. Also know that there is enough Faith in you to tackle your fear, what you feed grows. So, feed your faith and starve your fear.