DO YOU HAVE A SURE ANCHOR?
TEXT: HEBREW 6:13-20
THE LORD is leading us this morning into the message through a song composed by Priscilla Jane Owens in 1882 titled “WILL YOUR ANCHOR HOLD”. This hymn suggests that personal stability can only come from the right foundation. Mt. 7:24-27.
The topic for today’s message is a question DO YOU HAVE A SURE ANCHOR? It is a question that all must answer and it is a question, whose answer will determine our state either here in the world or even in life hereafter. This question is of interest to the world at this particular point in time when the entire world is facing the novel pandemic called COVID-19 (Corona Virus) which has thrown the entire world into utter confusion.
This hymn was inspired by the Epistle to the Hebrews Chapter 6 verse 19 “which Hope we have as an anchor of soul, both sure and steadfast”.
Do you have a sure and steadfast anchor for your soul? Who do you turn to in period of trouble just like the world is experiencing? We are at a greater risk in a time like this of drifting into hopelessness, sin and darkness. Heb. 3:12. Jesus Christ is the only one who is completely reliable and can be by our side through it all.
EXPOSITION OF HEB 6:13-20
– The writer of Hebrews wrote to people who were facing hardship and persecution because of their faith.
– The hardship was so much that a few were tempted to abandon Christ and return to Judaism.
– The writer is encouraging them by explaining to them different ways by which Jesus is better, more honourable and more powerful than the Jewish patriarchs.
- Jesus is greater than the angels Heb. 1:4-14
- Jesus is the last revelation and in Him is the work of redemption completed Heb. 10:5-10.
– The writer was urging them to persevere by putting their focus on Jesus who is superior and who also provided salvation for us.
– He instilled in them biblical hope – not just a positive, cheerful disposition – but a steady attitude of joy based on the promises of GOD who cannot lie Heb. 6:13-20.
Having Jesus as our anchor does not mean that we will never experience hard times. But it does mean that:
- When hard times come we will be prepared, and we will find hope in Jesus Christ Heb. 6:19
- This hope in Jesus Christ sees us through when all around us is crashing down. Acts 27:13-40
- Also we are empowered with the knowledge that there are better things to come our way.
WHAT IS AN ANCHOR?
An anchor is a device normally made of metals used to connect a vessel to the bed of a body of water to prevent the craft from drifting due to wind or current.
WHY DOES A SHIP NEED AN ANCHOR?
– The main reason a ship needs an anchor is to ride out storm. So that it is not blown off-course or into the rocks or reefs nearby
– Even in a safe harbour a ship needs an anchor so that it will not drift, hit something and sink.
Whether in the storms of life or in the harbuor during the calm times of life, we all need an anchor for our souls so that we do not destroy our lives.
The Hebrew brethren were susceptible to the various storms just like the world is
facing right now. Believers are currently under the attack of the following storms:
- The storm of false doctrine – the social media is full of various interpretations of the plan of GOD for the world. Eph. 4:14. We are daily inundated with wrong doctrine. II Pet. 2:1-3.
- Neglect, carelessness or apathy is fatal now. Heb. 2:1-3
- The storm of doubt and unbelief 1 Cor. 15:1-19, Heb. 3:7-12.
- The storm of Apostasy and backsliding Heb. 3:12, Rm. 6:15-23
- The storm of defeat Lk. 22:32
- The storm of difficult trials (need, hunger, sickness) as a consequence of current pandemic Rm. 8:28-39.
- The storm of discouragement Exodus 16:1-3
- The storm of dehydration in the wilderness (what are you thirsty for?) Exodus 17:3
- The storm of despair II Cor. 4:7-11, 12:9.
The writer of Hebrews assured the believers, and especially at this critical time in the history of the world, that the hope of our future salvation is an anchor to steady our souls while we wait on GOD in present storm. The certainty of our salvation is real because of the following reasons.
- GOD’s PROMISES can never fail and will not fail Rm. 4:11-15, Heb. 6:13-15
- GOD’s PURPOSE is unchangeable Is. 46:9-11, Rm. 3:10-18.
- GOD’s PERSON is incapable of lying Heb. 6:18
- GOD backed up his promises with an oath Heb. 6:17 and 18.
WARNING (HEB 12:25-29)
The writer of the Epistle to the Hebrews brought forth the incident that happened to the church in the wilderness (Israel) in Mount Sinai.
The incident was so fearful that Moses, a great prophet of GOD, said in Heb. 12:21 “I am trembling with fear.” So the Bible now enjoins us in Heb. 12:25: “See to it that you do not refuse Him who speaks.”
- The present pandemic is a warning to us from heaven. If they did not escape when they refused him who warned them on earth, how much less will we, if we turn away from Him who warns us from heaven.
- The current pandemic is not the final. In Heb. 12:26 the Bible says “At that time His voice shook the Earth, but now He has promised, once more I will shake not only the Earth but also the heaven (Ex. 19:18, 2 Pet. 3:11-13). GOD is coming to shake the world and Heaven. Where will you run to? Heb. 12:29.
THE WAY OUT
- Strive to have or enter the kingdom that cannot be shaken. Heb. 12:28, by accepting Christ as your LORD and Saviour. Confess your sins.
- Do not put your trust on a thing or a god Ps. 20:7-8 but put your trust on Jesus Christ only Ps. 46:1-20.
- Therefore take heed of the following four things:
- To the Word of GOD Heb. 12:25; Esk. 3:10
- To the Things of GOD
- To the Spirit of GOD Eph. 4:30
- To the Leading of GOD Jer. 6:16
- We should learn a great lesson from the present experience for tomorrow. Have you learned a lesson on social distancing, hygiene, financial management, family bond and etc.?
All these you can internalize for future use.
A great Question – DO YOU HAVE A SURE ANCHOR?
- Prayer of thanksgiving
- Prayer of forgiveness and GOD’s mercy
- Prayer for spiritual empowerment
- God heal our Nation (Nigeria) and the world
- Pray for our church for GOD’s healing, provision, care and protection
- Pray for the frontline Health Care Givers
- Pray for the sick
- God, see me through this period of Covid-19.